Copyright 2005-2012 Sally Jennings at Speak-Read-Write.com
What's Cooking? Vocabulary Exercise Answer Sheet
Printable Answer Sheet by Sally Jennings
To return to the exercise:
- The cover for a pot is called a?
A cover for a pot is a lid.
- What do you do with a rolling pin?
You roll out pastry or cookie dough with a rolling
- What do you use a grater for?
You use a grater to grate or shred vegetables or
- Does a pot go on the top of the stove or in the oven?
A pot goes on the top of the stove.
- A common expression is "pots and ?"
Pots and pans are common cookware, usually used on top
of the stove.
- What does a pot or ? have that a kettle does not have?
A pot or a pan may have one long handle, a kettle two
short handles. Since the single handle on a pot or pan is usually not heat
proof, and the knob on the pan lid may not be heat proof either, pots and
pans are not used in the oven. However, note below that containers used to
bake are called baking pans.
- What two kettles look very different?
A soup kettle, a tall pot with two small handles and a
lid, is used for soups and stews. A tea kettle is used to boil water. A tea
kettle is different from other kettles. It has a spout on one side, for
pouring, and a semi-circular handle on the other.
- Cookies are baked on?
Cookies are baked on a cookie sheet, or on (see number 9,
next). When you take the cookies off the sheet, you might cool them on cookie
- A shallow pan you use to bake a sheet cake is called?
A jelly roll pan is a shallow oblong pan used to bake a
- Layer cakes are baked in the oven in?
Cake pans are used to bake layer cakes.
- A mixture of meat, noodles or rice, and sauce might be baked in the oven in?
That mixture is called a casserole, and is baked in a
casserole dish, or glass casserole.
- You would cook a beef roast in the oven in a?
You would cook a beef roast in the oven in a roaster or roasting pan. It
might have a lid. If it doesn't have a lid, it is called an open
- A good, heavy pan for fudge might be an?
An enamel pan is a good heavy pan for cooking
- Many modern cookware sets are coated on the inside, so they are called?
Modern cookware which is permanently coated is called
- A pan you use to bake bread is called a?
A loaf pan, also called a bread pan, is used to
bake loaves of bread, quick bread, or meatloaf.
- You could cook fish on the stovetop in this pan. It is a?
A frying pan is used to fry foods, like fish or chops.
It may not have a lid.
- Pancakes are cooked on a?
A griddle is a shallow pan with a lip around it used
to cook pancakes. Sometimes it is called a pancake griddle.
- If you make a pie, you would bake it in a pan called a?
A pie is baked in a pie plate or a pie pan.
- The container you make cake batter or cookie dough in is called a?
A mixing bowl is the container you use to stir up
cake batter, cookie dough, or many other mixtures.
- You might clean the cake batter out of the container with a?
A spatula or a scraper will get the mixing bowl
- When you take a hot pan out of the oven, you use what protection?
To keep from getting burned, you use one or two pot
holders or oven mitts.
Speak Read Write What's Cooking? Vocabulary Exercise
Speak Read Write Educational Resouces
Speak Read Write Home